4.16.2009

Everything I Learned About Writing

Writing, for me, has become a way to speculate the future, relive the past, and bask in the moment of the present. While I write I become the creator of my life, simply by writing about it the way I see it, or the way I want to see it. I can conveniently leave out details of the past that I do not see as interesting, and I can make a mundane moment into a movie. There is a saying that I heard in DreamWorks Kung Fu Panda that I believe captures my point exactly: “The past is history, the future is a mystery, but the now is a gift, which is why they call it the present.” It is writing that helps us to understand the little things in life that we missed, or want to keep reliving, and the best thing is when you write you have a poetic license to give it as you please. Words are a means of preservation, and passion. Everything funny that I have said in my life stems from something that was once written on a piece of paper. Every funny quote that I heard on the silver screen or on tv, or every passionate, stirring speech was once in the mind of a writer. If that not true power, I don’t what is. This is why I write.

6 comments:

Mrs. Young said...

"writing life the way you WANT to see it" -- this makes us godlike creators in a sense, and I love the freedom and responsibility that role suggests. This is a really lovely, philosophical piece. Well done.

Rachel said...

I love this piece for you Yahya because it is so true about your love for written language. It is so funny because I wouldn't ever think to describe you that way, but the way you write about written word here helps me realize. Your fascination with quotes and humor all stem from your amazing ability to remember exact, written word. Even in the middle of this piece you prove this by adding the most bogus reference that becomes so relevant. Thank you Yahya :)

Ariella said...

I love this piece because it sums up your writing in just a few sentences. It makes so much sense to me that you write about past events in your life, but can make them so exciting. You are so right about your ability to make a mundane thing into such an exciting thing. I've enjoyed reading your writing all year long, thanks :)

sytat said...

I enjoy the idea of how you remind us that writing is all about remembering special moments from the past and allow us to go back and remind ourselves of these distinct times that we can then cherish forever.

Penn Wise said...

WOW! Your description is amazing!! I would have never thought of any of those comparisons that you made, but all of them make so much sense and are completely true! This was so amazing! I love your choice of verbs! You are so good at combining the silly and simple with the serious and making it work together brilliantly. All i can say is WOW! Great Job!

Anastasia said...

I agree with your idea that writing "helps us to understand the little things in life that we missed, or want to keep reliving." This is very you because much of your writing has been of past events and memories that you want to bring to life once again. Also, I love the quote you used... it fits in well with your piece, and even adds humor- which is another characteristic of your writing. I really enjoyed this piece!