4.18.2009

Everything I Learned About Writing

Find someplace quiet.
Write.
Then find someplace loud.
Write.
Writing is a product,
not an action.
Write,
then rewrite.
Whatever comes out of it
must be worth something, so
work hard.
Nature is the perfect inspiration,
but music works for me –
lyric blending into note;
my hands are covered in quotes.
But you must find your own
muse.
“Write of what you know,”
but if you have a great
imagination, imaginate.
Magic mushrooms, faeries,
knights, nights, murders,
nature, fantasy, fact.
Find a good notebook, plain,
and do everything your own way.
Explore.
Do everything your own way,
find your own voice,
find your own tree, find
your own crappy coffee shop,
find a funky way to
express yourself,
after you have exhausted
everyone else’s way,
and be the best you can be,
but never strive for perfection.
Perfection is too contrived.
Keep a pen behind your ear --
you never know when you’ll be struck by
Inspiration

(Crossing my fingers that it actually posted this time...)

6 comments:

Isabella said...

I really like how you connected all the places and inspirations that serve as such a huge part of writing. I related to that so much because I think ones surroundings are so important in their writing, and I think it is necessary to find your muse as you put it. Good job!

Penn Wise said...

I love how you used poetic form! Your line breaks make the poem flow really well and it is easy to read. I also really liked your repetition of the word WRITE in the begging of the poem. You could tell that every word was chosen carefully and they were all equally important. GREAT JOB!!!

Anastasia said...

This peice made me want to sit down and write. At the end of your piece, when you said, "you never know when you'll be struck by inspiration," I was thinking- wow, THIS writing inspires me to write. You have such a unique style with your line breaks and punctuations- which spices up your writing. I really enjoyed reading it- it was well done!

Jordan said...

Loved how you made it a poem! It felt really "one with nature-ish". It has alot of great nature references. Its neat how nature inspires you, it is defianetly evident by this! Theres alot of freedom in it. You speak for both yourself and the reader. Great Job!

Mrs. Young said...

Too bad this didn't format at you intended (with the poem-inside-a-poem structure). It still reads well. I love your made-up word: imaginate. You're funny. This is good.

David said...

I strongly connected with this piece because I too enjoy writing in all forms of places. It allows to think clearly and truly express my thoughts. As it is written in poetic form, the piece has an excellent flow, which hooks the reader.